A neck lift is a procedure carried out on the neck area to improve its appearance in a number of ways. Anything could be included in this procedure from removal of excess skin to liposuction to get rid of any excess fat. The neck muscles are also altered to create a more youthful appearance. Want to know more? Here are the ins and outs of having a neck lift:
Have a Set of Realistic Goals
When going in for a neck lift, it’s very important that you have a set of realistic goals that you can discuss with your surgeon. The most common concerns that people have are: a turkey neck, excess fat, and too much excess skin. Think about what your goals are but make sure they’re realistic. You can then discuss them with your surgeon and learn about various options available to you.
- Turkey neck – your surgeon will likely recommend surgery to correct this problem. Usually, you’ll have cuts made under the chin or behind your neck to access your platysma, a muscle in the neck. In some cases, some muscle may even have to be removed for the operation to be successful. You’ll also discuss with the surgeon the kind of anaesthetic that’s best for you.
- Liposuction – when you have liposuction on the neck, a small incision is made underneath the chin and the fat is sucked out from there. If you’ve decided to have other procedures too, it is likely that liposuction will be done first. However, if you’re only having liposuction, you could be having the operation for about an hour.
- Too much excess skin – the surgeon trims the skin in this procedure and then lifts it into place to create a tighter appearance. This can take up to 4 hours, and the kind of anaesthetic used is again up to you.
You need to make sure that you fully understand all options available to you before going ahead with a procedure!
How to Prepare
To prepare for your procedure, it’s important that you discuss any allergies you have with your surgeon. If you’re a smoker, it’s advisable that you quit at least 4 weeks before your procedure, and you’ll need to continue for at least 4 weeks after the procedure for the best results. Cutting down won’t be good enough, so you need to quit full stop for proper healing.
A healthy diet will also help your body to heal itself if you don’t eat one already. You should also book a week off work to recover!
To recover effectively at home you should make sure you have:
- Ice packs.
- A thermometer.
- Loose, button up clothing.
- Antibacterial ointment.
- Pillows to keep you upright and comfortable.
- Someone who can stay with you for a few days after surgery.
Possible Side Effects
As with any procedure there are possible side effects. You could experience:
- Swelling and bruising for several days.
- Tightness and tingling.
- A burning and pulling sensation.
- A temperature (call your doctor asap).
- Discharge and pus (call your doctor asap).
A neck lift can greatly help to improve confidence and self-esteem, but you need to do your research properly before going ahead with the operation. Don’t go ahead with your neck lift until you’ve found the perfect surgeon and had a thorough consultation!