When veins become wide and twisted due to some defects in valves present in veins, it is referred as varicose vein. In such as condition, valves starts preventing backflow of blood in veins resulting into pooling of blood along the veins. It also causes veins to bulge and swell.
This ailment can be commonly seen in legs and feet. It appears twice as much in women than in men.
Varicose Veins Pain Symptoms
The common symptoms a person suffers from in case of varicose veins pain are mentioned below:
- Swelling in feet and ankles
- Cramping of legs
- Blood vessels become prominent and acquire dark blue color.
- Pain and heaviness in affected area which worsens if a sufferer stands for a long time.
- Itching around the affected area.
- Changes in color of skin i.e. skin on feet and around ankles may turn grayish-brown color.
- Skin ulcers or peeling of skin may occur in severe cases
Tips for Varicose Vein Pain Relief
If the varicose vein pain condition is mild and not severe at all, self care remedies can prove really helpful. Exercising on regular basis, avoiding sitting and standing for long period of time, elevating legs when resting helps in getting varicose vein pain relief.
To ease pain and discomfort associated with this painful ailment, you can wear support stockings. When sufferer wears these stockings, there is rush of blood in upward direction in the leg’s muscles as stockings centralizes the pressure near his ankles.
This is why it is recommended by Clínica de Terapia Vascular that people suffering from varicose vein pain should wear these stockings as the first thing in the morning even before getting up from their beds. Support stocking should be worn throughout the day.
Over-the-counter painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen can be taken to get relief from varicose vein pain.
Seek medical attention immediately if the condition becomes deep and there is change in skin color, appearance of ulcers and problem of continuous pain exists.
For treating mild form of this painful condition, doctor may prescribe you sclerotherapy. In this therapy, sclerosing agent which is a chemical is injected in veins for breaking down walls. For severe cases of varicose veins in which large and bulging varicose veins are treated, surgery is suggested by doctor.
To prevent new veins from turning varicose, you can make certain lifestyle changes. Such lifestyle changes are mentioned below:
- Enrich your daily diet with balanced and low-fat diet that comprises of plenty of vegetables and fruits.
- Exercise on daily basis to maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid sitting or standing in one particular position for a long period. If your job requires you to sit for prolonged hours, move legs frequently and try to flex your muscles for increasing the blood flow.
- While resting, keep legs in an elevated position.
- Take few breaks from your hectic schedule and walk around.