When you feel pain anywhere between your chest and groin region, it is referred to as abdominal pain. Almost every person suffers from the problem of abdominal pain at a point or another in their life.
But how pain does not always reflect the seriousness of the condition.
For e.g. you may suffer from severe abdominal pain if you have gas or stomach cramps due to viral gastroenteritis.
Colon cancer or early appendicitis is some of the life-threatening conditions which lead to mild pain in the stomach.
Colicky pain which comes and goes suddenly is one type of abdominal pain. Gallstones and kidney stones also cause belly pain.
Causes of abdominal pain
There are so many medical conditions that lead to abdominal pain in the body. Some of the less serious causes of abdominal pain are:
- Stomach flu
- Food poisoning
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Food allergies or intolerance
- Kidney stones
- Pancreatitis (swelling or infection of the pancreas)
- Bowel blockage or obstruction
- Inflammatory bowel diseases such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- Heartburn, indigestion, or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
- cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) with or without gallstones
- Decreased blood supply to the intestines (ischemic bowel)
Some of the other possible causes of abdominal pain are
Do you know that certain medical problems also lead to abdominal pain in the body? Some of such medical conditions or problems are:
- Muscle strain
- Heart attack
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Severe menstrual cramps
- Urinary tract infections
- Tubal (ectopic) pregnancy
Cancer of the ovaries and other organs can sometimes also be a cause of stomach pain in females. So it’s important to check out for ovarian cancer symptoms.
Knowing about the ovarian cancer signs and diagnosing the problem in advance can help you deal with these types of serious problems effeciently.
Some effective tips to deal with abdominal pain
- If you are suffering from mild abdominal pain, avoid the intake of solid food items in the starting hours.
- To deal with mild abdominal pain, gulp a lot of water, and other clear fluids.
- If abdominal pain is accompanied by vomiting, go for mild foods only such and crackers, rice, and apple sauce. Stay away from dairy products.
- Avoid intake of pain-relieving medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, anti-inflammatory medications, and narcotic pain medications unless your doctor prescribes it. Keep in mind that if your abdominal pain is not related to the liver, you can try acetaminophen.
- If you suffer from sharp abdominal pain after eating meals, you can take antacids especially if you have heartburn or indigestion. Avoid eating tomato products, carbonated beverages, high-fat foods, caffeine, fried or greasy foods, and alcohol.
- Eat small meals on a frequent and regular basis for taking care of abdominal pain.
- Limit the consumption of food items that produce gas.
- Enrich food items rich in fiber such as fruits and vegetables to treat abdominal pain in an easy way.
- Exercising on daily basis also helps in dealing with abdominal pain in an effective way.
Hope these tips help you in relieving abdominal pain. Just follow these steps and get control over your abdominal pain in an effective way!